The package arrived with ingredients like strawberries, lemon, cream, and gelatin...
(pardon the spill on my note!)
Cookyn with Mervyn delivered a "Box of Gourmet Surprises" and suggested a Panna cotta recipe. Seeing how I've never made panna cotta before and was short on time (panna cotta basics are pretty easy), I eagerly threw it together before heading to TAB to watch that night's performances.
I borrowed my friend's kitchen, but couldn't find a blender, so chunky strawberry coulis had to make do. The results?
A great way to spend a half hour before heading out (and returning home to eat the finished product for a midnight dessert!), here's Mervyn's panna cotta recipe:
Cookyn with Mervyn's Strawberry panna cotta
500 ml cream
500 ml full cream milk
3/4 tsp vanilla paste
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 cup sugar
15 gm powdered gelatin
250 gm fresh strawberries, washed and quartered
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of water
- In a pot, gently simmer ingredients for strawberry coulis. Remove from heat immediately and blend with a hand held blender. Set aside to cool and refrigerate.
- Simmer cream, milk, vanilla paste, sugar and lemon (do not let it boil). Remove from heat.
- Soften the gelatin powder with a little cold water.
- Add the soft gelatin into the cream mixture and stir till well incorporated.
- Sieve the mixture into cups or ramekins.
- Refrigerate once cooled for at least 4 hours.
- Top with the strawberry coulis before serving.
See here for previous entries about Cookyn with Mervyn.